Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Foxes In My Neighbourhood, Orcas In My Dreams.

Justin and I had our first fox sighting on the weekend. We were walking home from seeing The Adventures of TinTin in the 'cinema', as they call it here, and had a fleeting glimpse of a large fox with a huge tail about a block from our house. The next morning when I was leaving for work there was another one in the driveway across the street from me. It saw me and immediately bolted. It wasn't as big as the first one we saw but I got a better look at it; It was so awesome. They look more like coyotes here than the cute foxes in Grizzly man. Foxes are WAY batter neighbourhood pests than raccoons. (PS I stole this fox picture, but it is a fox in the back yard of a home in London.)


Everything is pretty good here right now with the exception of the job front. Don't get me wrong, we both have jobs now, and I think Justin is going to stay at his for the time being, but we are just getting paid so poorly. I have put together a CV highlighting my office, administration, and reception skills (wink) as it pays at least 2pounds more than I'm getting currently and have been contacted by a few agencies. I went and met with one of them today and had to do all sorts of testing. I found out I type 48 words per minute and that I suck at power point among other things. I guess we'll see what comes of that. I enjoy my job at the cafe and the owners have been really good to me, but I just need to make more money bottom line. I'm spending every day off at an internet cafe online looking and applying for jobs, TV, reception, and otherwise.

On the TV front I have received an insider tip that ITV is going to be undergoing some serious changes in the next month and to keep my eye on jobs there. So I am. I have applied to quite a few TV jobs recently. Just about an hour ago I received a call from an agent who deals with film mostly (I was given her information from Rhys who works at Technicolor here) and she was very helpful and lovely. She gave me some advice on my CV so I just bumped it up, and she said she was going to contact Sony and Disney to see if they had anything available that would suit me. Again, I guess we'll see what comes of that. At any rate it's nice to have people (including all of you who have given me contacts) who are trying to help you out.

London is obsessed with Christmas and it seems that since we have been here there isn't much talk of anything else. There are even Christmas movies already playing every day on TV. We are looking forward to going to all the outdoor Christmas sites we keep hearing about.
Justin and I decided that we didn't want to wake up alone in our empty home on Christmas morning (even though a co worker of Justin's invited us to Christmas lunch at his house which is too cute) so we booked a trip. Turns out the cheapest place (by quite a bit) to fly to in Europe over Christmas is Amsterdam. So I guess it's going to be a very green Christmas for us haha. We've booked a hostel - The Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark - but haven't really looked into what exactly we are going to do there. I'm looking forward to seeing the canals. It's certainly not a place that was at the top of either of our lists to visit - but poor ass immigrants can't be choosers.

Our internet should be up and running in a week to 3 weeks. When that happens I'll upload another video here. In the mean time if you want to give me a call please drop me an email asking for my number.

I hope you are all well. I saw there was snow in Vancouver the other day!! How crazy. Send me a note telling me any new and exciting events happening in your life. I'd love to hear from you.

Getting more comfortable here but still missing you all,

Gen

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys! I can't believe you get to see foxes roaming around your place! They are way cooler than Racoons! Hopefully you can get a picture of them!
    I hope you can get a job making more money, but if not at least you have a job:) How does Justin like his job?
    That's so rad your going to Amsterdam for Christmas! I heard they have a good winter parade that has movies, music and good food.
    It snowed here on the Island. It was just a light dusting, it's all melted now. We are having big wind and rain storms. The power has been going out lots! I'm glad we invested on a woodstove.
    I finally got a job myself! I am doing the same thing i was before but working for better people. I host Estate Sales, work in an antique store, sell antiques online and i get to bid on storage lockers! So far i really like it, but i've only worked 3 days. Katlin gets to go to Whistler on Monday for work and i'm jealous! I heard Keith and Hellen got jobs on Cypress. Chris is planning a skate trip to San Francisco in January. I think most the guys are going. Maybe i'll get planning a girls trip! lol! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so miss you. When in Amsterdam,Go to Franz Hals Museum, the Renaissance Painter- our relative and you saw some of his painting when we went to the Dutch Masters Exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery. There is a big Art show that just started there plus lots of other amazing art and classical music. Awesome. I want postcards!! Also,
    It has been so cold - I have to wear 3 layers, 2 scarfs etc. And some crazy wind storms..I thought I was in the wind storm scene from the Wizard of Oz the other nite! Stuff flying off balconies etc. lol. Then one day, it was warm! Crazy here. So Grey cup this weekend. GO LIONS!! Im hoping to go to one street party with a friend. Canucks are doing okay also. So weird, even though we didnt see each other all the time it feels so lonely without you.Theres something about knowing people are there if you need them... I watch BT and think of you! It somehow feels like you are closer...lol!I hope your parcel gets there before you leave for Christmas. Talk soon, love you. Mama

    ReplyDelete