Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Beginnings of a Montreal Life

I just had to call the city of Montreal's help line in desperation because my borough's website is all in French and does not have an English option. I was trying to figure out how to get a parking permit so when Justin arrives he can park in our neighbourhood. Luckily the man on the other end of 311 spoke English and was very helpful. The language has been an issue... I don't even know how to call a cab. And trying to purchase huge things like beds and couches from French only speakers has been frustrating, mostly because I feel stupid. It seems like this is going to be the norm here. I need to learn French ASAP.

It's been a very busy couple days. Running around the city trying to rent a flat and buy a bed and furniture, all while figuring out the metro and buses. Transit is all very easy for the most part with the help of Google maps (only one major error which led to an hour delay walking aimlessly along a freeway before a $12 taxi ride to the correct address). My feet are killing me.

Just one of the old homes in my neighbourhood
My mom came to 'take care of me' for this week -- which was really nice of her. I didn't necessarily think I needed her help, but she wanted to feel needed, so I figured what was the harm. Her arms sure have come in handy -- especially as I was carrying a bed-in-a-bag, air mattress, and mattress topper for far too long around the city. I am going through some intense car withdrawals. I know it will wear off soon.

I am really happy so far with the place I have rented. It's probably too early to really tell because normal life hasn't set in, but the neighbourhood is so beautiful, and the condo is brand new; The appliances still have all the instructions in them. You can take a look at our place here - We are apartment 100 on the list of one bedrooms. It doesn't show the amazing huge courtyard that we are the only ones with access to. I think it's going to be really great.

The city is absolutely vibrant. I have seen a lot of it while looking for a home and trying to find the big box stores. The food is decent and we've only had the cheap touristy stuff. We went to a Just for Laughs show last night and it was awesome. The festival itself is huge and so much is going on at different venues throughout the city.


So far it's been a very draining, overwhelming experience, but I know it's going to get better and better once I sort everything out. I can't wait to explore everything when I have time to enjoy it.



Poutine - of course!

Smoked Meat Sandwich!







No comments:

Post a Comment