Saturday, February 4, 2012

Canadian Content

I listen to my ipod a lot at work, and the last couple times someone asked what I was listening to it's been The Tragically Hip, and Sloan. Obviously they had no idea who they were and I was asked if I listen to a lot of Canadian music. I never really thought about it, but I guess I do. I decided to see what percentage of my ipod was Canadian to see what influence Canadian content has had on my musical tastes. Of 2099 songs, 381 of them were bands or artists I knew were Canadian, 18%. This falls short of the 35-40% that radio stations are now licensed at (Thanks wikipedia), but I didn't bother with the specifics, such as written by a Canadian or recorded in Canada, which might bump it to 25% or so.

Not quite up to CanCon standards, but pretty close I would say. I had never really thought about how much of the music I've grown to like has been forced down my throat by the CRTC until I got here, where Canadian music is just Michael Buble and Bryan Adams. It's interesting to think of all the music I've been introduced to by that law, as well as all the music I'm missing out on because of it. I can appreciate the purpose of it, but 40% seems unnecessarily high. When a band can be as big in Canada as the Hip, and unheard of elsewhere, is that law working? Or are we just creating bubble? Who gives a shit I guess is the obvious answer, the Hip rock.

-Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment