Monday, March 5, 2012

Money... Well, Get Back

We have such a different relationship with money here, and not just because we are making less and our bills are more; It's almost a completely different way of spending in general.

I have been wanting to buy new shoes lately. I packed as many into my suitcase as I could, and even shipped a couple more over in a box once we were settled in, but 2 of those pairs have been totally ruined by work. I recently bought some nice boots at a charity shop but they have already fallen apart. So I figure I might as well spend the quid (I really wanted to type 'bucks' there) and get a good pair, but 70+ is a lot of money. So here I am still contemplating and not buying.

The thing is, it's not really about being unable to afford 'stuff'. It's that we'd rather spend our money on experiences than things - You find yourself weighing out whether you can get away with wearing coffee-covered-scuffed-worn-out boots for another night on the town, so you can justify buying a ticket on the EuroStar to Paris while your friend is there with a free flat to crash at.

Also Justin and I have a joint account here. Funny fact: Justin is listed as a homemaker on our account because I was employed and he wasn't when we opened it. They couldn't say he was unemployed because we would have been denied, so our banker had to fudge a few details. Another funny fact: Justin has become quite the homemaker since we have moved here, even cooking dinner a couple times a week.

At home in Canada our money was (and still is) very separate. In the past we've both been able to support ourselves and very rarely had to rely on the other financially, whereas here we can see everything the other spends, and how much money we make. It hasn't really been a big issue, but it has made me feel guilty if I purchase something just for me. I guess it's good in a sense because it makes you question what you buy before you buy it so you only get what you really need.

So maybe I'll buy some new shoes soon. I probably will. Screw it. I also really want a curling iron. And a pair of jeans. And a foamie to make our bed more comfortable...

I hear some sales calling my name.

Miss you all lots and think about home every day.
Gen

2 comments:

  1. I can send the curling iron but it might be cheaper to send you money? lol..And maybe Michelle can bring some shoes that she doesnt use. Heck..end of season, do they have good sales? lol.. I love that Justin is taking homemaker so seriously..good practice for the future. I do however, agree with go to PARIS!!! of course!! Love you. Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using a north American curling iron got me in a lot of trouble already. I need a UK one! But thanks Mum.

    ReplyDelete